packersplanet.com Forum Index -> Packers Talk- MOSTLY UNCENSORED -> NFC North run % by quarter

Post NFC North run % by quarter
Lord Football
Referee

Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:29 am
Quote:

NFC North run-play pct. by quarter

Team 1st Q 2nd Q 3rd Q 4th Q

Chicago Bears 43.6 43.5 40.3 60.5

Detroit Lions 42.9 43.1 37.3 21.1

Green Bay Packers 38.8 25.6 39.1 35.2

Minnesota Vikings 53.7 39.6 52.8 48.9

In the process of researching the Green Bay Packers' run-pass distribution for the blog and the Inside Slant podcast, I got my grubby hands on some raw data that might prove interesting to the masses. Jeremy Mills of ESPN Stats & Information passed along the breakdown for all 32 teams by quarter, giving us a good glimpse at when NFL teams are running the ball.

I was particularly interested in the numbers for the first and second quarters, when play calling is presumably less affected by the score and game situation. It makes perfect sense, for example, that the 4-1 Chicago Bears have run on more than 60 percent of their fourth-quarter plays while protecting leads.

The chart shows the percentage of running plays, which don't include quarterback scrambles, per quarter through five weeks of the season. A few observations worth pointing out:

It's hardly surprising that the Packers have run fewer times than any NFC North team in the first half. Their 38.8 percentage in the first quarter is the sixth-lowest in the NFL.

The Detroit Lions have actually displayed remarkable patience, at least before halftime, in trying to capitalize on favorable running fronts. They just haven't been very good at it, and as games have continued they have been forced into a pass-first mentality.

The Miami Dolphins, Seattle Seahawks and Kansas City Chiefs are the only teams to run on a higher percentage of their first-quarter plays than the Minnesota Vikings. For the most part, the Vikings' play selection reflects the best balance in the division.

Bus Cook
Fucktard Hall of Famer
Fucktard Hall of Famer

Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:44 am
We really need Green back. Very good read. Sounds like the author has McCrappy in the #4 spot for NFC north coach of the year. Even the Lions commit to trying to establish the run. Fail but try. We fail and don't try. Now without our star RB that TT found on the waiver wire trash heap, things could get even worse. While we continue to use the three man, prevent D pass rush, I can see other team rush 5 DEs knowing that we are not longer a pass first offense, but a pass only offense.

Post Re: NFC North run % by quarter
get louder at lambeau
Commissioner

Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:38 am
Lord Football wrote:
The chart shows the percentage of running plays, which don't include quarterback scrambles,

I kinda think they should have left scrambles in. A scramble is a run play, even if the QB looks downfield first. Leaving out scrambles on a team with a mobile QB is almost like looking at run percentages, but excluding any runs by the fullback. A run is a run, no matter what position the runner plays.

We will always see some scramble yardage with a mobile QB, and it's part of the running package that keeps Ds honest. If you remove them from the running plays column and call them passes, it skews the stats and makes it look like any team with a mobile QB throws the ball more than they actually do. Rodgers runs a lot- about 10% of the time.

Bus Cook
Fucktard Hall of Famer
Fucktard Hall of Famer

Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:54 am
get louder at lambeau wrote:
Lord Football wrote:
The chart shows the percentage of running plays, which don't include quarterback scrambles,

I kinda think they should have left scrambles in. A scramble is a run play, even if the QB looks downfield first. Leaving out scrambles on a team with a mobile QB is almost like looking at run percentages, but excluding any runs by the fullback. A run is a run, no matter what position the runner plays.

We will always see some scramble yardage with a mobile QB, and it's part of the running package that keeps Ds honest. If you remove them from the running plays column and call them passes, it skews the stats and makes it look like any team with a mobile QB throws the ball more than they actually do. Rodgers runs a lot- about 10% of the time.

I agree except that I think that the intent of the stat was to measure a team's committment to the run game as opposed to the yardage from runs/scrambles.

get louder at lambeau
Commissioner

Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:03 pm
Bus Cook wrote:
get louder at lambeau wrote:
Lord Football wrote:

I agree except that I think that the intent of the stat was to measure a team's committment to the run game as opposed to the yardage from runs/scrambles.

Yeah, but it's still skewed. If you have Vick, Newton, RGIII, etc, a QB run is still part of the run game. It is for the Packers too, to a lesser extent. Halfback or not, Ds have to respect the run no matter what position it comes from, so all runs should be included, IMO.

texas
condescending nerd

Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:24 pm
I thought our run game was doing alright with Benson in...

Guess not. I don't know why it seems like he is getting a lot of yards and attempts but the stats don't suggest that.

Jump to: